How to relieve ureteral stent pain isn’t as simple as you might think, and yet it’s also very simple. It just takes some careful consideration of all of the factors that are likely contributing to your pain, and then you have to take action on them, which can be difficult if you’re already in so much pain.
5 Simple Tips That Actually Work
There are a few things you can do at home to help relieve your ureteral stent pain. Start with over-the-counter pain medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. You can also take a warm bath or use a heating pad on your lower back for pain relief.
Drink plenty of fluids, especially water, to help flush out your system and speed up the healing process. Finally, avoid any strenuous activity or lifting heavy objects until your pain has subsided.
If you’re in pain, the last thing you want to do is eat. But trust us, fueling your body with the right nutrients can help ease your discomfort. Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day and focus on foods that are easy to digest.
Also, avoid spicy and acidic foods, as they can aggravate your symptoms. And be sure to stay hydrated by sipping on water or unsweetened fluids like herbal tea.
Exercises for Back, Abdomen, and Neck
- Start by gently stretching your back, neck, and abdominal muscles.
- Take a warm bath or use a heating pad on your lower back to relax the muscles.
- Place a pillow under your knees when you sleep to take pressure off your lower back.
- Try over-the-counter pain medication if the pain is severe.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the stent and prevent kidney stones from forming.
- Follow up with your doctor to make sure the stent is functioning properly and will be removed when it is no longer needed.
Consult a doctor
If you’re experiencing pain from your ureteral stent, the first thing you should do is consult your doctor. They will be able to help determine the cause of the pain and provide you with relief options.
In the meantime, there are a few things you can do at home to help ease your discomfort. Here are five simple tips that can give you some relief while waiting for your appointment:
- Elevate your head on pillows when lying down;
- Apply an ice pack to the painful area for 10 minutes at a time;
- Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain;
- Avoid lifting heavy objects or strenuous activity;
- Increase intake of fluids.
Maintain Healthy Bacteria Levels in the Digestive System
There are a few things you can do to maintain healthy bacteria levels in your digestive system and avoid pain when urinating.
- drink plenty of fluids. This will help keep your urine diluted and reduce the irritation caused by the stent.
- Eat probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi. These foods contain live bacteria that can help balance the levels of good and bad bacteria in your gut.
- take a probiotic supplement. This will help ensure that you have enough good bacteria in your system to fight off the bad bacteria.
- avoid processed foods and sugars as much as possible. These foods can feed the bad bacteria and lead to an imbalance in your gut flora.
- exercise regularly. Exercising is great for your overall health and it can also reduce the chances of having recurrent UTIs.
- Finally, wear clean underwear every day. Urinary incontinence is common among people with ureteral stents so it’s important to make sure that you’re always wearing clean underwear to avoid introducing harmful bacteria into your bladder.
Dr. Edward Zelman
Dr. Edward Zelman is a distinguished and highly respected medical professional who has dedicated his career to the field of general medicine. With a profound commitment to patient care and a wealth of knowledge acquired over decades of practice, Dr. Zelman has earned a reputation as a trusted healthcare provider in his community. With a career defined by excellence and an unwavering commitment to the betterment of his patients and the broader community, Dr. Edward Zelman stands as a pillar of the medical field, dedicated to the principles of healing and compassionate care. At present, Dr. Edward Zelman is researching safe and effective natural remedies that can restore as well as maintain the youthful functioning of the body.
View All By Dr. Edward