Studies conducted on terpenes have revealed that these tend to mimic the pain and inflammation suppression activities of the cannabinoids in the body. Besides these, the terpenes have also been seen to enhance the pain-relieving properties of the cannabinoids, which are already existent.
These facts have highly suggested the need to understand what Cannabis Terpenes (as they are otherwise called) are, and explore how these can assist with pain relief and the mechanisms involved there.
Cannabis Terpenes – Enhance Your Cannabis Experience With Terpenes!
Cannabis, alternatively known as marijuana, weed, and pot, presents as a plant group, including Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis. Extracts derived from these plants provide calming and relaxing effects because of their psychoactive properties.
While cannabis commonly goes by various other terms, such as cannabinoid, indica, sativa, etc., terpenes have recently been added after having been recognized for their unique properties in terms of their aromatic/fragrant smell and taste. It is these features that make Terpenes stand out from the other mentioned forms of cannabis.
Being naturally occurring compounds, these substances are found both in plants and in some animals. Further, based on the vegetation types, the aroma, flavors, and colors of these plants vary.
The fragrance or aroma enhanced by the terpenes renders them highly useful in the production of various cleaning solvents, pesticides, and dyes to name a few. Apart from the cannabis plant, terpenes can also be sourced from sage and thyme, which are aromatic herbs, and citrus fruits.
The Pain-Relieving Effects of Cannabis Terpenes
Now that it has been understood that it is the Terpenes that render that aromatic essence or flavor to the Cannabis plant extracts, it could well be determined that the former indeed plays the role of an enhancer to this group of plants, adding to their psychoactive properties. These facts do render them some medicinal value, provided they are ingested in the recommended doses. Moreover, the soothing effects of the drugs extracted from the Cannabis plant make them highly appropriate for treating pain and inflammation. Since it is the terpenes that provide that desired effect, and since these always go along with Cannabis, it is now felt the right time to discuss their importance in relieving pain and discomfort.
As was previously mentioned, there are agents like cannabinoids, including THC and CBD which are mostly known for their therapeutic features. However, it should not be forgotten that terpenes tend to enhance or mimic the qualities of these other drugs through what can be described as the “entourage effect.” With all these being stated, below are listed the best terpenes that provide pain relief.
- Beta-Caryophyllene: Commonly known as caryophyllene, these are considered to be the most popular pain-reducing terpenes. It is the peppery aroma present within these that helps in directly activating the CB2 receptors in the body to produce/induce that pain-relieving effect.
Caryophyllene can be best sourced from Gelato, Candyland, Sour Diesel, Bubba Kush, and Girl Scout Cookies, where these are the cultivars.
- Limonene: This frequently occurring terpene with a citrusy flavor makes Limonene terpene to be another of those marijuana compounds to offer pain relief. Found in peels of oranges, grapefruits, limes, and lemons, this kind of terpene modulates the activities of the TRP channels to detect painful sensations, thus reducing pain in the process.
Sour Diesel, Banana OG, Berry White, Bruce Banner, and Super Lemon Haze are the best sources for Limonene terpene.
- Linalool: The third in the list of pain relievers, Linalool is also best known for reducing stress and anxiety. The form of terpene that provides a spicy floral scent can be found in abundance in mint, lavender, and rosewood, all of which are herbs. Linalool works by blocking pain by producing an effect in the central and peripheral nervous systems.
Fire OG, OG Shark, Trainwreck, Amnesia Haze, and LA Confidential are the rich cannabis strains of the Linalool terpenes.
- Beta-Myrcene: One of the most commonly found terpenes in cannabis, the Beta-Myrcene offers a spicy earthy flavor. Of note, it is this flavor that provides relaxation. The terpenes found here enhance the THC’s effects to reduce pain. Indica is the most highly sourced Beta-Myrcene terpene.
Beta-Myrcene terpenes are strained from OG Kush, Harlequin, Jack Herer, Blue Dream, and Granddaddy Purple.
- Pinene: Existing in alpha and beta structures, Pinene is considered to be the most effective terpene to relieve pain. These have a pine-like aroma and are effective in reducing migraine-related pains, as well as relieving neuropathic pains by affecting the opioid receptors all through the body.
Strains: AC/DC, Grape Ape, Chemdawg, Cannatonic, and Big Smooth.
- Humulene: Also known as alpha-caryophyllene/alpha-humulene, this form of terpene provides pain relief by generating potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. Characterized by a pungent, spicy scent, herbs, such as basil, sage, black pepper, and hops are the best sources of the humulene terpene.
Strained from: Headband, Candyland, Original Glue, White Widow, and Girl Scout Cookies.
The different types of Cannabis Terpenes discussed here all provide some or the other kind of pain relief based on the mechanism involved there. However, no matter their effectiveness in reducing pain, the psychoactive elements contained in each of them are enough to render them addictive, thereby increasing one’s tendency to overuse them.
The significant demand for such drugs has induced drug marketers to trade them without obeying trade regulations. Producing them in required quantities as deemed appropriate by medical professionals is a dire necessity as far as their pain-relieving purpose is concerned.
Dr. Edward Zelman
Dr. Edward Zelman is a distinguished and highly respected medical professional who has dedicated his career to the field of general medicine. With a profound commitment to patient care and a wealth of knowledge acquired over decades of practice, Dr. Zelman has earned a reputation as a trusted healthcare provider in his community. With a career defined by excellence and an unwavering commitment to the betterment of his patients and the broader community, Dr. Edward Zelman stands as a pillar of the medical field, dedicated to the principles of healing and compassionate care. At present, Dr. Edward Zelman is researching safe and effective natural remedies that can restore as well as maintain the youthful functioning of the body.
View All By Dr. Edward